PSHE - Personal, Social and Health education
At Swaffham Prior, believe that PSHE has the power to enhance the health and wellbeing of all children, their families and the whole school community. It has a positive influence on the ethos, learning and relationships throughout the school. It is central to our values and to achieving our school’s aims.
PSHE helps children to develop the knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes they need to live confident, healthy, independent lives, now and in the future, as individuals, citizens, workers and parents. It is embedded within wider learning to ensure that children learn to develop resilience and healthy relationship skills, which they will practise and see enacted in the school environment.
For our PSHE curriculum, we follow the highly regarded Cambridgeshire PSHE Service.
Our aims for PSHE are:
- To enhance skills for communication, empathy and healthy relationships
- To support the development of resilience, self-esteem, self-efficacy and aspiration
- To offer accurate and relevant knowledge to support decisions about personal wellbeing and health
- To explore the relevance of knowledge for personal situations and decision making
- To offer opportunities to explore, clarify and if necessary challenge, their own and others’ values, attitudes, beliefs, rights and responsibilities
- To offer the skills and strategies they need in order to live healthy, safe, fulfilling, responsible and balanced lives.
- To prepare children for bodily changes and growing up and demystifying some of the preconceptions
- To give the children skills and vocabulary to talk openly and not feel embarrassed
Key Stage Curriculum Frameworks
RSE Policy and useful documents for parents/carers
Please see here for our PSHE policy.