We want all our children to experience deep, sustained understanding so that they become happy and confident mathematicans, throughout their learning and into adult life.
Through a positiive, caring environment, we nurture confidence and a love of mathematics, to enable every child to reach their full potential. We promote a 'can do' attitude' to maths without a fear of making mistakes. Children will be given time, support and resources to develop a depth of understanding in maths, because we believe that every child is entitled to a good mathematical education.
Teaching for Mastery at Swaffham Prior
In September 2016 we started our journey towards a mastery approach to the teaching and learning of mathematics. The rationale behind changing our approch to teaching mathematics arose from our involvement in the NCETM Maths Hub and Teaching for Mastery Programme and our belief that all children can achieve, as well as the 2014 National Curriculum, which states:
* The expectation is that most pupils will move through the programme of study at broadly the same pace
* Pupils who grasp concepts rapidly should be challenged through bing offered rich and sophisticated probelms before any accelertion through new content.
* Those who are not sufficently fluent with earlier material should consolidate their understanding, including through additonal practice, before moving on.
In short this means,
* Teach less, learn more: less teacher talk but more focused mathematical discussion and intelligent practise following a coherent learning journey .
* No child left behind: all children are enabled to keep up everyday.
* Space and time to experience and apply, with all children entitled to additional support to ensure they do not fall behind or to go deeper.
* Understanding real life applications wherever possible to make learning relevant and not abstarct; nothing should be taught without a purpose.
Mastering Number - Reception, Year 1 and Year 2
At Swaffham Prior, teachers in Reception and KS1 deliver a daily session of 10-15minutes of Mastering Number. This is a new programme offered in 2021/2022 by the National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathmatics. It aims to develop solid number sense, including fleuncy and flexibility with number facts, which will have a lasting impact on future learning for all childen. The aim overtime is that children will leave KS1 with fluency in calculation and a confidnece and flexibitlty with number.
Click here to download the Mastering Number Progression document from R-Yr2
The following dcuments have been included for reference for parents and carers:
Maths termly end points
Supporting your child with Maths at home
White Rose have produced a range of work booklets for parents and children to ue at home. These booklets can be found on Amazon for Kindle or downloaded below on their website. There is one booklet for each topic for yr1-yr6.