Art and Design
At Swaffham Prior, we believe that all pupils should be instilled with an appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts, to be engaged, inspired, challenged and equipped with the knowledge and skills to explore designing and making their own pieces of art, craft and design.
We want children to:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
- progress through school, beginning to think more critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design.
We understand the importance of parents and carers in supporting their children to develop all creative art and design skills and knowledge, and so we want to encourage a home-school partnership which enables parents and carers to understand how to enhance the skills being taught in school.